Just a quick note to mention that I upgraded my Worpdress install from 2.1.3 to 2.3 this morning. Everything looks good to me, but if you notice anything amiss, please let me know.
If you’re reading this post directly from my blog, then you noticed the theme change. I ran across iTheme and had to use it (at least for a little bit). I may keep it because I really like the clean design.
I just added a cool little plug-in that provides previews for external links. The service is provided by snap and using the Snap Preview Anywhere Plugin for WordPress, I get the preview automatically added to any link that goes outside of this blog. I tried to make it less obtrusive by using an icon just after the link that when you hover over will pop-up the preview. The normal text link acts as normal.
You are supposed to be able to disable it in the options of the pop-up if you don’t like it. If you experience any problems, please let me know.
I just got set up with IMified which is an interesting IM bot that can be used for notes, reminders and, in this case, blog entries from any IM client that you have access to (in this case iChat from my Mac at work). I’ve just started using it, but it may be a pretty nice way for me to make some quick blog entries. If you are interested in checking it out, just IM IMified (AIM) or firstname.lastname@example.org (Google Talk/Jabber), or go to http://imified.com.
I decided to upgrade the site today to the just released WordPress 2.1. Initial checks look good, but if you find something not looking or working correctly, please let me know.
I added a plugin that displays an “updated today” banner if the content is new today. This post is really just to see if it works.
Of course, you can use my site as your home page and will easily know if something’s new, but why would you do something as silly as that.
If you want the plugin you can get it here.
While killing some time between sessions at WWDC, I saw that my mother-in-law was online so I thought “Hey! what a good time to back up her data.” So took but a moment to start a rsync backup that I do of her user directory on her machine to my system at home. To keep things from getting out-of-hand with regards to space, I use the –delete option which removes any files not in the source directory.
Like all mistakes, they happen because you don’t pay attention and that is exactly what happened to me. I was in the wrong destination directory and was syncing the files to ‘.’ (the current directory) so it happily started deleting files that weren’t in the source. Unfortunately, I was in my home directory at the time. Once I realized, my mistake, I stopped it but not before it had deleted my mail repository, my website, and my blog (this one).
Fortunately, regardless of my horribly rookie mistake, I also back up my user directory two different ways every day. A few restores later and I had all but a few hours of email restored and the entire website and blog.
Good for me, I guess, but it shouldn’t have happened in the first place. Lesson learned, use explicit paths.
I added the cool Sidebar Widgets plugin which will let me fiddle with the sidebar and have it still work for the installed themes much easier. Since I allow visitors to set the theme they view, please let me know if there are any you would like me to install. Likewise, with the sidebar content.
You can find a list of widget friendly items of each type here.
As it turns out, I was able to throw Gallery online without too much trouble. I’ll try to get some pix of Brian’s birthday party up tonight.
You can get to the (currently empty) gallery here.