That is how long I worked for my now previous employeer. Yesterday, I was included in a round of layoffs that hit my organization. That is quite a long run and I am thankful for the many opportunities I had and the numerous people I was fortunate to work with. Honestly, we accomplished some great things:
- The launch of the PlayStation 2, PSP, PlayStation 3, PS Vita, and PlayStation 4
- Development and release of countless titles from small download (PSN) titles to well-respected AAA ones like God of War, Uncharted, MLB, Last of Us, and most recently Bloodborne
- The integration of new studios and the spin-off of others
- The relocation of a studio to a new state-of-the-art location
- The progression of game development from CD to DVD to Blu-ray and similar development footprints from 100’s of MB to 100’s of TB of storage
- The growth from region-specific development to a fully world-wide development, QA, hosting, and IT organization
- The evolution of servers from physical to virtual and a similar progression of hosting from thousands of physical servers to private and public clouds
In large and, more likely, small ways I strived to make a difference and am proud of my legacy there. I wish those that remain well. It is a great group of people that are smart and very resourceful. I hope to work with them again.
It is challenging as this is the first time in my entire career that I don’t know what’s next. That’s ok. I’ll be working again soon. In the meantime, I’ll enjoy the time with my family.